Summertime means taking a break from the mundane and recharging your battery, especially after a pretty harsh winter over most of the U.S. Take advantage of your vacation days, as some employers offer them, but if you don’t use them they will simply go to waste if unused before the end of the year. If the budget is a little tight this summer, take a few days off and explore your own city or state with a Staycation! Not only will you be saving money, you and yours truly can enjoy each other’s company on an adventure or relish in some much needed R&R. The perks of a Staycation are almost too good to pass up:
1. Break out the maps. Whether you stay local in your city or venture off to a new place in your state, map out where you’d like to go, and what you’d like to see the old fashioned way by highlighting your routes.
2. Staying at home is a great money saver if you are staying in town, but even if you live in the countryside and would like to see what it would be like living by the ocean or experiencing the city life, look into Home Rental sites such as VRBO (Vacation Rental By Owner). You can expect to find homes and condos for rent by the night, week, or month!
3. Pack Light. Most likely you will be road tripping it to your destination, so make sure you have enough room for all your gear, especially if you are bringing your children along. Pack a small suitcase with the essentials, and if you are headed to the beach, lake, or river, your beach cover-ups can double as tops worn with shorts or pants. Bring just one hat, limited shoes, and don’t forget your SPF. You won’t need extra toiletries as the SPF will act as your moisturizer, lip balm, and even as shaving cream.
4. Bring your own Booze & Food. Bring a small cooler to be able to bring food and drinks out on your excursions. This will cut costs if you are in for a long road trip, and if your accommodations offer a fridge or full kitchen, you can stock up when you arrive at the local grocery store. The savings on cocktails alone will allow you to treat yourself to a meal out or indulge in another activity such as a massage or a kayak rental!
5. Journal Your Adventure. Whether you are the photographer in the family, or enjoy writing down your thoughts, you can combine the two in journaling your experience. This whole Staycation is about making memories, and the best memories are not always made on a beach in Maui, they can be made in your own backyard. From the s’mores toasting at the campfire to the new experience of downtown living, this Staycation may in fact become a tradition. Why not create a keepsake for the years to come?
As summertime approaches, the beaches are filled with sun worshipers and swimmers. Whether you catch the surf or not, you cannot help but feel like you belong there. In the sea that is. Take this inspiration home with you by embracing a life under the sea, and at the seashore.
This modernized coastal kitchen design combines natural beauty with all that sparkles. The golden orb pendants are reminiscent of vintage scuba diving helmets that catch a glimpse of life under the sea. From mermaids frolicking in the seaweed to hidden treasures, this design embraces a life that so many of us wonder about. The mottled grey backsplash tile takes on a shell like appearance, while the tracery on the upright cabinets resembles fish scales and bubbles. The warm and golden accents are reflective and inviting, just like the sun dancing on the water. By tying in these unique pieces, you take a piece of the ocean home with you.
We cannot believe how time flies, and this June marks our First Year Anniversary at our Chattanooga location! Our doors are open to celebrate with you on June 4 – 6th, where you can mingle with our Designers over punch & treats. If you have not visited us in Chattanooga, stop in to say hello and take a look at our variety of Tile Collections that will compliment any style.
For more information on our Anniversary Event, please see the details here where you can join in on the fun and inspiration for your home or business! Thank you Chattanooga for an amazing year, and we look forward to helping you with your business and home improvement needs many years to come!
Since Memorial Day weekend was the unofficial start of summer, dust off the winter blues with these Top Ten Summer Essentials that will get you and your family through the sun, fun, and heat!
- Drink Dispenser: Make some Sun Tea in this adorable Drink Dispenser with chalkboard applique.
- Crusteacean Bib: Pass out these bibs for all the crab legs, lobster, and more that you will be serving up this summer!
- Paper Straws: These sweet little straws are more than cute, some of them are made from recycled paper.
- Large Pool Noodle: Hands down the best summer investment for your pool, this noodle will keep even the tallest guy in your family afloat!
- Neutrogena Beach Defense: Live and breathe by Neutrogena’s Beach Defense at the beach in the summer. It is lightweight, aborbs easily, and protects your skin from the harsh summer sun.
- Beach Blanket: Whether you are spending a day at the beach, or lounging by the pool, this stylish throw can spread out for two!
- Acryilc Glassware: These Martha Stewart Hobnail glasses are perfect poolside, or out for a family picnic.
- Galvanized Tub: Keep your drinks cold by filling this tub with ice and beverages to quench your thirst.
- Sun Hat: You do not have to spend a fortune on a sun hat, but you will be grateful to keep the sun off your face and shoulders.
- DIY Popsicle Mold: Get creative with your popsicle mixtures with whole pieces of fruit and real fruit juice or lemonade! Add some tequila for the adults, and you’ll have one cool treat on your hands.
As we take the time to spend with family and friends today, and this weekend past, let us reflect on what this day truly means. Memorial Day was not always the last Monday of May. Otherwise known as Decoration Day to recognize Union Soldiers who had died in the Civil War, then following WWI where the Southerns honored their fallen soldiers. Not only until after WWII was it declared Memorial Day to honor all fallen soldiers and those who have served their country.
Please take this day to pay your respects to all who fought and died not only for their country, but for your rights and freedom. We thank our Veterans and those still in the Military for their Service. Happy Memorial Day!
As we take this weekend to remember our fallen soldiers and those who have served our great country, we celebrate them as soldiers and as our loved ones. As we embrace red, white, and blue this weekend, you may just have items around your home to make a few decorations that will help you celebrate Memorial Day in remembrance.
Dress your table with red and white, or all three colors if you wish with Bandannas as napkins and as runners. Simple and All-American, this rustic look is perfect for Memorial Day, Labor Day, and upcoming Independence Day. Go through your Scrapbook paper that is hiding in your shelves, and wrap tin cans or glass jars in patriotic papers and use a a utensil holder, vase, or to display food.
You can make this DIY Flag Cake Stand courtesy of Martha Stewart, and use it for all sorts of holidays! Not to mention, these Blueberry Vanilla Cupcakes look quite delicious themselves. Pick up some red, white, and blue tissue paper at your local store and make these Tissue Pinwheels by folding the paper accordian style, and then meeting the two ends together, and adhere with tape. Tape on some string, and hang at various lengths from a tree, fence, or cluster over your buffet or dessert table.